[Ysu-academic-senate] Upcoming Senate Meeting - February 5th

Chet Cooper crcooper01 at ysu.edu
Wed Jan 29 09:01:45 EST 2020

Dear Senators and Other Colleagues,

The Academic Senate shall hold its first meeting of 2020 in the DeBartolo Hall Auditorium on Wednesday, February 5th, at 4:00 PM.  Please do mark your calendars accordingly and plan to attend this important meeting.

Due to unusual circumstances, you will receive the meeting agenda on Monday of next week instead of this week.   I anticipate the possibility of an involved meeting, so please note that the meeting may not end by 5:00 PM.

In the agenda you will receive there are three key items: i) the proposed revised Senate Bylaws, ii) a report from Dr. Mary Beth Earnheardt, Chair of the Academic Standards and Programs (ASAP) Task Force, and iii) a report from Provost Smith.  I would hope that these topics shall stimulate discussion.  There will be some other items of business as well, but I wish to particularly point out the three I noted above.

Although previously distributed, the proposed revised bylaws are attached to this email.  I am asking all senators to please review this document and ask any relevant questions you may have.  For comparison, you can access the current bylaws at https://ysu.edu/academic-senate/bylaws.  My hope is that the Senate will approve this document or a modified one at next week’s meeting.

The ASAP Task Force will present recommendations for the Senate’s consideration.  Because these are substantial recommendations, I am including the report with this message so you will have significant time to prepare to discuss these items.  Please spend the time to review the report and come prepared to discuss any relevant matters.

Provost Smith’s brief report is to advise the Senate on steps taken towards academic program assessment.  I have also attached his report to this email for your consideration.

Finally, there is another matter in which the Senate, as well as the larger university community, should/must actively engage.  Given the Board of Trustees expectation for recommendations related to sexual misconduct and harassment and acts of violence, as discussed at their March meeting, the YSU administration wishes to engage in a broad consultation on the following tentative list of topics:

  *   Adjustments to the Misconduct Policy
  *   Reactions to Athletics proposal related to misconduct
  *   Consideration of registering such findings on the Official Transcript

These are obviously issues that the Senate and the university community should consider and provide input.  Certainly, these topics shall elicit a number of comments and reactions that need to be heard through proper and reasonable discussion.  Given the importance of these topics, which I do not believe they can be adequately addressed in the crowded agenda of the Senate’s upcoming meeting, we have scheduled an additional meeting for February.  PLEASE TAKE NOTE:  A Senate meeting is called for Wednesday, February 19th at 4:00 PM in the DeBartolo Hall Auditorium with primary topic being a discussion focused on the above topics.

Thank you for your consideration and coming prepared for next week’s Senate meeting.  If you have questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Chet
Senate Chair

--
Chester R. Cooper, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor, Biological Sciences

Voice/Phone: 330.941.1361

“Anybody who seeks wealth as an end in itself is always going to be disappointed.  What you really should be doing is seeking excellence in achievement.”  Herb Kelleher (1931-2019)

Office Location: My office is located behind the secured glass doors near the elevator on the 3rd floor of Ward Beecher Science Hall.  Use the wall phone next to the doors to call me at extension 1361 (just press 1, 3, 6, 1 in order).  I or one of my students will come to escort you to my office.  Please do not enter the laboratory area without permission or an escort.

Notice: This electronic mail transmission may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential.  This information is intended for the use of the named individual(s) or entity to which it is directed. This message and the information contained therein is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, anyone other than the named addressee and should not be copied or forwarded in any manner to any unauthorized person(s) or social medium without prior permission of Dr. Cooper.  If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify me by reply e-mail or via the above listed telephone number prior to deleting this message from your system.  Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Disclaimer: On occasion, it is possible that attachments may be inadvertently included that do not wholly comply with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).  If a recipient of this email receives such a document, but requires one that fully meets ADA standards, please contact me at your earliest convenience.  I will send a compliant document as soon as practical.