[bfsa] Diversity workshop

Brenda Scarborough bmscarborough at ysu.edu
Wed Oct 29 09:34:08 EST 2003

Just in case you did not already receive this invitation.  I hope to see
you there.
Molly Seals

You are cordially invited to a Partners-In-Diversity Workshop

Featuring:
    Philip DeVol, author of "Bridges Out of Poverty" on
Wednesday, October 29, 2003 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at St. Elizabeth's
Finnegan Auditorium, St. Elizabeth Health Center

RSVP to Suzette Darden at 330-480-2770 or Suzette_darden at hmis.org

This workshop, hosted by Humility of Mary Health Partners and the
Northeast Ohio HealthForce, will feature Philip DeVol, author of
"Bridges Out of Poverty".  Based on work by Ruby Payne, "Bridges Out of
Poverty" provides a framework of understanding poverty through four
elements:  hidden rules of economic class, resources that define
poverty, family structure, and language experience.

Workshop participants will begin to understand economic class as a
diversity issue rather than a strictly economic one.  In order to work
effectively with and serve those who live in poverty, the hidden rules
of
poverty must be understood and new methods must be learned.

Directions to St. Elizabeth Health Center
St. Elizabeth's is located just north of the Belmont Avenue exit off
I-680. Park in our parking deck directly across from the medical
center's main entrance on Park Avenue.

>From Cleveland/Akron/Canton:
Take I-80 or I-76 to Exit 15. Stay on I-80 to I-680/Youngstown. Take
Exit 4A (New Castle, Route 422)
exiting on Belmont Avenue. Turn left on Belmont, left again on Park
Avenue.

>From Warren/Niles and Sharon, Pa.:
Follow I-80W to State Route 193 (Belmont Avenue), turning south on
Belmont. St. Elizabeth's is about 3
miles on the right at Belmont and Park Avenues.

>From Pittsburgh:
Follow I-76W to Exit 16A, Youngstown. Take I-680N to Exit 6B, following
Rt. 7/Hubbard signs until you
come to signs reading Rt. 422/Warren. Follow those signs to the Fifth
Avenue/Belmont Avenue exit. Go
west for one block (to Belmont Avenue). Turn right on Belmont, left on
Park Avenue.

confidential
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the
original
message.