[bfsa] Mentoring /Support

Robin Bradley rsbradley at ysu.edu
Fri Mar 4 10:24:57 EST 2005

BFSA Members

Kareen Neal, YSU Alumni, is looking for support with his students as they
begin proficiency testing, here is his request:

Next week begins the middle school proficiency testing.  One of the ongoing
problems that Warren Western Reserve Middle School for example has been
having

is attendance during this period.  Most of them don't show up for certain
sections of the testing period because they fear they will not do well on
that

section or even miss the entire week for the same reason.  The principal
asked for assistance in either ideas for and or incentives for the students

attending school and eventually for giving their best on the tests.  I am
sending this in hopes that you will also forward this to the BFSA members
for

their input, ideas, or possible contribution to this cause.  Also, my
efforts to produce mentors for these students has been an up hill struggle.

Please forward this message also.

Also think about his, There are so many missed opportunities by those with
wide eyes but closed minds.  Sponges.  That's what they are.  And at this
level/stage in their lives they are trying to find themselves.  Without the
proper guidance or even a glimmer of a light to be shined at what so many
believe is a dark and never ending tunnel of hopelessness, YOU have failed
them, and their destiny may be doomed by the corruption they see on
television, hear on the radio.  And I'm not going to mention reading.  Most,
if they can read at a 3rd grade level, don't read so therefore do not
possess the brainpower to make better decision to better alter their
futures.  So this is a challenge from me to you.  I'm not asking you to play
God or create a miracle or even make a change.  I am simply asking you to be
present.  And everything else will just fall in place from there.  And if
you like it, show up again.  If that goes well, say something.  But nothing
can get started unless YOU DO SOMETHING.  You'll be surprised at how much of
an impact YOU have on the youths of today and the results of tomorrow.
Rather you know it or not.  You are a role model.

If you have any suggestions, etc. feel fee to email me at rsbradley at ysu.edu.