[bfsa] Know Your Neighbor

Jamael Brown titobrown at neo.rr.com
Thu Apr 26 23:43:26 EDT 2007

FYI,

If you have anyone that you believe that would benefit from this , please
forward  this information. JB

Youth Enrichment Program

Coming - July 10 to August 9

8:00 a.m. - Noon

Tuesday's & Thursday's

Parents, please bring your child for an application. One child per family

"Neighborhood Ambassadors" cleaned vacant properties last summer.

This summer 40 young people from our Know Your Neighbor and Eagle Eye block
watch areas will learn to

design and landscape three or four vacant properties in our area.

Monday's - Character Building "Discovering George Washington Carver - A Man
of Character"

Thursday's - Violence Prevent classes - Youngstown Urban Minority Outreach
and Drug Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Outreach Program.

After the workshops the youth will

receive hands-on learning on design and landscaping at vacant lots sites.

Who's eligible?

Those who live in the block watch area (Know Your Neighbor boundaries -
Cordova to Logan and Benita to Gypsy Lane)

Male or female ages 13 - 18

Participants from last year are eligible but must complete new application.

Complete guidelines will be given. Youth who complete all ten days of the
program will receive a gift card valued at $200 and other incentives.

Poem "Equipment" read by Dr. Carver at a commencement in 1943

Figure it out for yourself, my lad,

You've all that the greatest of men have had,

Two arms, two hands, two legs, two eyes

And a brain to use if you would be wise.

With this equipment they all began,

So start from the top and say, "I Can."

Part of poem by Edgar A. Guest

"There is no short cut to achievement. Life requires thorough preparation -
veneer (appearance) isn't worth anything." - G.W. Carver

Volunteers Needed

Like to landscape or want to help? We can use your skills. Please call Mrs.
Davidson @ 330-747-6617

Email:jadknowyourneighbor at hotmail.com

SUPPORT - KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOR as we work to improve our neighborhood. We are
a non profit organization. Your gifts are tax deductible.

Did you Know? George Washington Carver National Monument:

1st National Monument established for an African American

1st National Monument for an American Scientist

1st National Monument established for an American educator

1st Memorial recognizing world peace through interracial understanding

P.S. We are going to ask neighbors to help with upkeep of landscaped lots.