Fwd: [bfsa] Know Your Neighbor

Brenda Scarborough bmscarborough at ysu.edu
Fri Apr 27 11:29:50 EDT 2007

Sharing please pass on to others.
Jamael Brown wrote:

>FYI,
>
>If you have anyone that you believe that would benefit from this ,
please forward  this information. JB

Youth Enrichment Program
Coming - July 10 to August 9
8:00 a.m. - Noon

>Tuesday's & Thursday's
>
>Parents, please bring your child for an application. One child per
family

>"Neighborhood Ambassadors" cleaned vacant properties last summer.
>
>This summer 40 young people from our Know Your Neighbor and Eagle Eye
block watch areas will learn to design and landscape three or four
vacant properties in our area.

>Monday's - Character Building "Discovering George Washington Carver - A
Man of Character"

>Thursday's - Violence Prevent classes - Youngstown Urban Minority
Outreach and Drug Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Outreach Program.

>After the workshops the youth will receive hands-on learning on design
and landscaping at vacant lots sites.

 Who's eligible?

>Those who live in the block watch area (Know Your Neighbor boundaries -
Cordova to Logan and Benita to Gypsy Lane)

>Male or female ages 13 - 18
>
>Participants from last year are eligible but must complete new
application.

>Complete guidelines will be given. Youth who complete all ten days of
the program will receive a gift card valued at $200 and other
incentives.

Poem "Equipment" read by Dr. Carver at a commencement in 1943 Figure it
out for yourself, my lad,

>You've all that the greatest of men have had,
>Two arms, two hands, two legs, two eyes
And a brain to use if you would be wise.
With this equipment they all began,
So start from the top and say, "I Can."

Part of poem by Edgar A. Guest

>"There is no short cut to achievement. Life requires thorough
preparation - veneer (appearance) isn't worth anything." - G.W. Carver

Mrs. Davidson @ 330-747-6617

>Email:jadknowyourneighbor at hotmail.com
>
>SUPPORT - KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOR as we work to improve our neighborhood. We
are a non profit organization. Your gifts are tax deductible.

Did you Know? George Washington Carver National Monument:

>1st National Monument established for an African American
>
>1st National Monument for an American Scientist
>
>1st National Monument established for an American educator
>
>1st Memorial recognizing world peace through interracial understanding

>P.S. We are going to ask neighbors to help with upkeep of landscaped
lots.