[bfsa] FAFSA - Federal Work Study

Brenda Scarborough bmscarborough at ysu.edu
Wed Jan 30 13:48:31 EST 2008

  I recently learned that the wages/funds paid to student assistants
who qualify for the Work Study is not counted as "income" on the
student FAFSA applications.

  We are encouraging our student assistants to go to the FAFSA website
and "UPDATE" their FAFSA application by selecting the box that reads:
do you want to be considered for work study.

 The deadline for 2008-2009 FAFSA Online applications is February 15th.
  This is a win-win situation for both students [ a + influence in the
amount of their aid] and the hiring department [freeing up student
assistant budget funds].

   Many of you may have already been aware of this, I was not and
wanted to share.

Brenda Scarborough, LMTA II
Maag Library/Information Services
Youngstown State University