[URBANTH-L]Short Notice Requests for Panels for SUNTA at SfAA

KJonesNY at aol.com KJonesNY at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 17:02:41 EST 2004

Dear SUNTA colleagues:

I'm hoping I can join in a panel or form a new one with other SUNTA members
for the SfAA in Santa Fe meetings. I think my proposed paper (abstract below)
would have good intersections with the disciplines of medical anthropology and
applied anthropology as well as being an urban project. I would be very
interested in forming a panel with other scholars interested in aging or applied
urban ethnographic work or urban pedagogues. Please get in touch with me ASAP if
you have a paper that would fit under these broad themes.

Feminist Pedagogy and Applied Research on Aging in Queens, NYC

This paper discusses the need for "hands-on" learning experiences for
students on projects that serve the communities hosting academic institutions. It
explores a hands-on feminist pedagogy through developing applied projects with
students in local senior centers. I discuss both the difficulties of
coordinating this research and the positive effects on students, the local and campus
communities, the university-community relationship, and the development of the
professor scholar. Community-based student research should be part of both
coursework and extracurricular mentored programs, and should be designed to
emphasize the development of mutually beneficial relationships with community members
and the empowerment of research subjects.

Kim Jones

Kimberly M. Jones, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anthropology and Global Development Studies
Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
Office: 641-269-4325
E-mail: JONESKIM at grinnell.edu