[URBANTH-L]CFP for 2 additional A&E panels

Robert T. O'Brien robrien at temple.edu
Tue Nov 9 20:15:48 EST 2004

Subject: CFP for 2 additional A&E panels at the Canterbury
Hotel (SF) Sat. November 20

Thanks to the CAE, A&E has received meeting space for two ad
hoc panels at the Canterbury Hotel in San Francisco on
November 20, from 10-11:45 AM and 12:15-1:30 PM.

These panels will provide an opportunity for A&E members
and others who aren't attending the Board Meeting (10-11:45
AM) to presentand discuss material.

They will be followed by the already-scheduled events, the
A&E Business Meeting (2-4 PM) and the Rappaport Prize Panel
(4-5:45 PM).

Consensus is that given the short time frame and uncertainty
about level of interest, we will give priority to panelists
who were scheduled to present on A&E sponsored panels at the
AAA.  If there are additional spaces, we will make them
available on the panels on a first-come first-served basis.

If you're interested in giving a scholarly paper under the
broad rubric of Anthropology and the Environment, and are
willing to commit  to being in SF on November 20, please e-
mail a title and abstract of +/- 300 words to
aepanel at dfay.fastmail.fm .  We are leaning towards holding
open discussions following the papers, but if a group of
panelists wish to nominate a discussant, please feel free to
include this with your abstracts.  CAE is hoping to finalize
the program by November 12, but we can accept abstracts for a
few days after that.

- - -
Here is the hotel information again, from Tom Sheridan's
previous e-mail:

Thanks to a bold organizational move by the Council for
Anthropology and
Education (CAE), the Anthropology & Environment Section will
be holding
its initial board and business meetings and the Rappaport
Prize Graduate
Student Panel in conjuntion with CAE and other sections at
the Best
Western Canterbury Hotel Union Square on Saturday, November
20.

The Best Western Canterbury is a union hotel with no pending
labor
conflicts.  For more information on the Canterbury, go to the
aaaunite
blogsite, which provides a link to the UniteHere list of
hotels in San
Francisco.

The CAE has booked 120 hotel rooms and all meeting rooms and
catering
services from Wednesday, November 17 - Sunday, November 21.
For those of
you who have not made a hotel reservation yet, I strongly
urge you to
support CAE and book one at the Canterbury to help defray
their expenses.
The cost is $109, considerably cheaper than the Hilton.
What's more,
you'll be able to interact with members of other sections
meeting in San
Francisco.

When you do make your reservation (1-800-227-4788), BE SURE
to let Best
Western Central Reservations know you want a room under the
CAE block and
at the $109 price.

- - -

Thanks
Derick Fay

Derick A. Fay, Ph.D.
Ciriacy-Wantrup Postdoctoral Fellow
School of Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management
Division of Society and Environment
University of California, Berkeley