[URBANTH-L] Making Places (November Issue): News and Thoughts from Project for Public Spaces

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Fri Nov 19 13:20:38 EST 2004

From: Project for Public Spaces <makingplaces at pps.org>

MAKING PLACES: November 2004
News and thoughts from Project for Public Spaces

FEATURE STORY: WHAT IF WE BUILT OUR CITIES AROUND PLACES?
Every thriving neighborhood succeeds because of the small steps
citizens take to enliven their local streets, parks, and other public
spaces. PPS's new Great Cities Initiative applies this grassroots
energy to the broader mission of improving entire cities and
regions...

Read the full story in the November issue of Making Places, available
online at:  http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/

ALSO IN THIS ISSUE:

AFTER THE ELECTION
A way forward for America beyond red and blue.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/purple_places

THE 20 BEST NEIGHBORHOODS IN NORTH AMERICA
Here are our picks. Now it's your turn to select the best spots to
live, work, and hang out. Plus: A few of our favorite neighborhoods
abroad.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_neighborhoods

GRANVILLE ISLAND: ONE OF THE WORLD'S GREAT PLACES
In the heart of Vancouver, this lively mix of arts, parks, and
markets leads off our new hall of fame for great neighborhoods and
districts.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_granville

THE POWER OF TEN
Why Great Places are more than the sum of their parts.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_ten

CITIES OF JOY
Enrique Peñalosa, former mayor of Bogotá, believes that one day
cities of the developing world will offer us lessons about providing
everyone with equal access to happiness.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_joy

A TALE OF TWO CITIES
Las Vegas is America's fastest growing city. Cleveland is called the
mistake by the lake. What's wrong with this picture? Jay Walljasper
investigates in Town Square.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_town_square

NEWS FROM PPS
Announcing a new book by PPS Board member and former Congressman
Richard Swett. And -- from Seattle to New Jersey to Eastern Europe --
read about how PPS is turning around places across the globe.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_news

PARK TALK
Read what people had to say about our choices for the world's best
and worst parks. Plus: The National Park Service and the Downtown DC
Business Improvement District team up to improve public spaces in the
capital.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_park_talk

THE PLACE POLL
Tell us what you think of the latest batch of nominations for Great
Public Spaces.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_places

PUBLIC VOICES
A reader challenges the Barcelona City Commentary and poses the
question: Is the quality of a place simply a matter of taste?
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_voices

PLACES IN THE NEWS
See which public spaces made headlines in October and November.
http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/november2004/november2004_headlines