[URBANTH-L]Ukrainian Ethnologist Seeks Host Institution for Fulbright

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Mon Oct 18 16:26:19 EDT 2004

[EDITOR's NOTE: The below query was sent to SUNTA's secretary, Elzbieta
Gozdziak, from a Ukrainian scholar who is developing an urban
anthropology program and is seeking institutional affiliation for a
quickly approaching Fulbright application deadline. -AJ]

******
I am writing to you because I am aware that you have expertise in the
field of urban anthropology, an area of study that is of particular
interest to me.  My name is Viktor Pylypenko and I am an Associate
Professor of Ethnology in the History Department of Taras Shevchenko
Kyiv National University in Ukraine.

My current research lies in the field of urban anthropology. I am
studying contemporary urban culture in Ukrainian cities, as they relate
to developments in other Eastern and Western European countries. I have
been conducting research in this area for the past year, and have
ascertained that my work would greatly benefit from exposure to the
scholarship and methodologies of American colleagues. For this reason, I
am applying for the Advanced Research Fulbright Scholar Program, for the
opportunity to conduct research at a leading university library and to
become acquainted with urban anthropologists in the United States.  For
the 2005-06 academic year the application deadline is at the end of
October 2004.

In addition to my own research interests, my objective for the
fellowship year is to develop a course in urban anthropology for my
department at Kyiv University.  The goal is not only to introduce a new
field of study within Kyiv University's History Department, but also to
expose students to Western scholarship in this field. To date, Kyiv
University has not offered a course on this subject.  Urban anthropology
was not a part of the Soviet curriculum, and there are no qualified
lecturers or researchers in the field. Furthermore, since urban
anthropology was not an active field of research, libraries have only
limited holdings. The course I am developing will focus on both the
theory and practice of urban anthropology. It will introduce students to
methodologies employed by urban anthropologists, and to the logistics of
conducting research in an urban setting.  An important aspect of the
course will also be to give relevance in our curriculum to contemporary
urban issues.

One of the criterion of the Fulbright Scholars Program is to have
affiliation with a U.S. university.  As far as I understand such an
affiliation would give me the opportunity to use the library facilities
of your institution, to sit in on lectures, and to interact with
colleagues.  I would very much appreciate if you could extend such an
affiliation to me for the 2005-2006 academic year.  I would be glad to
send you any additional information or documentation that you may
require to make your decision.

I would appreciate your timely response.

Sincerely,
Viktor Pylypenko
Assistant Professor of Ethnology
Department of History