[URBANTH-L]more responses to the atlanta move

bvergara at sfsu.edu bvergara at sfsu.edu
Sat Oct 23 01:19:33 EDT 2004

----------

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:41:11 -0400
From: Shea Michael Anderson <imonik at temple.edu>
Subject: Re: [URBANTH-L]Feedback On the Move to Atlanta

http://aaaunite.blogspot.com/

The above is a blog to discuss holding alternative meetings
in San Jose.

I might remind everyone that many of us who were originally
planning on going to SF are graduate students, paying our own
way in order to attend this incredibly important professional
conference. We not only have non-refundable plane tickets
(with change fees of $100), we also have non-refundable
hotel/hostel reservations.

Many of us (in fact, nearly all of us) cannot afford to
suddenly change horses midstream and move our travel plans to
Atlanta. Furthermore, holding alternative meetings at the
Atlanta Hilton from Dec 15-19, beyond its noxious odors of
being "scabs" and running the picket line in a very
roundabout fashion, also coincides directly with Winter Break
at most, if not all, universities in the United States. Plans
have already been made for most of us to travel home to see
our families in the time that this period allows.

Holding the conference in San Jose in some fashion (and the
City of San Jose has extended a welcoming hand) is the best
option, under the circumstances. Furthermore, San Jose is
easily accessible from San Francisco hotel rooms by car,
Caltrain (til 1:30 AM) or BART light-rail and express bus via
Oakland.

Finally, San Jose is certainly more in need of income that
such a conference could provide than San Francisco. While I
certainly do not advocate that cities look to professional
conferences as a means of securing vital income, I think that
we would make more of an impact on the local San Jose economy
than the hyper-active economic climate of San Francisco.

I urge everyone to consider the good alternative that holding
a conference in San Jose provides.

Thank you,

Shea Michael Anderson
Temple University