[URBANTH-L]Feedback On the Move to Atlanta

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Sat Oct 23 02:11:56 EDT 2004

[Editor's Note: Some of the following messages were submitted before news of
the AAA's decision.]

>From Godel Gengenbach <Kay.Godel-Gengenbach at is.mines.edu>:

I concur in the idea to move the meetings to San Jose.
K. Godel Gengenbach, Ph.D
Director, Office of International Programs
Principal Moderator, McBride Honors Program
Colorado School of Mines
****************
>From David Michalski <michalski at ucdavis.edu>:
Rather than being run out of town, why not just sleep in the streets.
San Francisco has a significant homeless population, and provides the
urban anthropologist with the opportunity for participant observation.
It is also much less expensive than staying in a hotel. I might
recommend that participants bring camping equiptment and a little cash
to share with the estimated 14,000 homeless people already in San
Francisco. Working together with homeless coalitions and service groups
during the conference could draw attention to homelessness and the
labor movement.

David Michalski
Xcp: Streetnotes
http://www.xcp.bfn.org
michalski at ucdavis.edu
********************

>From Angela C. Stuesse <astuesse at mail.utexas.edu>:

Does anyone know how/if UNITE HERE has responded to the AAA Executive
Board's decision?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Angela C. Stuesse
Department of Anthropology
University of Texas at Austin
***************************

Joe Ellman <FromYosee at aol.com> writes:

I would like to make a suggestion for those who wish to advocate for the
rights of workers and the betterment of the underclass.  If you wish to make
the most impact I suggest that you turn your attention this next week on
doing all you can to see that Bush does not get another four years.  We have
1.6 million fewer jobs in the private sector today than when Bush took
office.  Mobilizing to help a subsection of workers is noble, but time is
limited and we can make more of a difference by working to get Bush out of
the White House.
Joe Ellman, Ph.D.
MATC
Adjunct faculty