[URBANTH-L]Latest Update, Relief Fund

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Tue Oct 26 23:59:30 EDT 2004

        From:     members at aaanet.org
        Subject:        AAA Meeting Update
        Date:   October 26, 2004 7:30:17 PM EDT
        To:       members at aaanet.org

(Please forward this statement.)

Dear AAA members:

Earlier today, the Executive Board of the American Anthropological
Association agreed to return the 2004 AAA Annual Meeting to the San
Francisco Hilton on the original dates of November 17 - 21, 2004, on
the condition that the 90-day cooling off period is accepted by both
parties and the picket lines come down by Wednesday, October 27, 2004
at 5 pm PST.

At 5:45 EDT, the Executive Board learned that management rejected Mayor
Newsom's call for a ninety-day cooling off period.  Our motion gives
management until 5 pm PDT, tomorrow, October 27th, to agree to end the
lockout and allow the union workers to return to their workplace.  In
the absence of such an agreement, the American Anthropological
Association will withdraw its business from San Francisco and hold its
meeting in Atlanta on December 15-19, 2004.

The Executive Board voted overwhelmingly to return the meeting to San
Francisco if both sides agreed to the cooling off period.  Like you, we
deeply regret that management did not agree to end the lockout.

The AAA Executive Board also passed a motion today whereby, "To help
defray the additional expenses, which have resulted from the AAA's
response to the labor situation at the SF Hilton, of graduate students
and foreign scholars from low income countries who are on the AAA 2004
program and traveling to the AAA 2004 meeting, the AAA Executive Board:

a. allocates a lump sum of  $50,000 to a 2004 Annual Meeting Travel
Relief Fund;

b. encourages Sections to make contributions to this Fund for this same
purpose, based on a $100 per capita for the number of graduate students
and foreign scholars from low income countries on their panels; and

c. encourages members with established professional employment to make
individual contributions for this same purpose.

In addition, the EB directs the AAA Executive Director and Deputy
Executive Director to identify the simplest means possible to
administer this Fund for this purpose with the advice and consent of
the Executive Board.  Information on the application process will be
forthcoming.

Attached is a form with information on how to make individual or
Section contributions to the 2004 Annual Meeting Travel Relief Fund.

Sincerely,

Liz Brumfiel, President
American Anthropological Association