[URBANTH-L]Response to Wolf-Meyer

Andrew Gardner gardner at email.arizona.edu
Sun May 1 14:12:03 EDT 2005

Matthew Wolf-Meyer,

I agree with Galey's recent email. Personally, I found your rebuttal as
worrisome as the message that kicked off this debate. Like Joe, you use
caricature to make your point; in his case that caricature concerned the
"postmodern" scholarship; in yours it concerns "applied" anthropology. In my
view, the problematic underpinnings of Joe's contentions have been well
articulated by Mark Peterson and Virginia Cornue, both of whom made their
points without disparaging the work of "applied" anthropologists. In your
argument, however, you seem content to plow ahead with the invectives
against applied anthropologists, and the caricature you use fits few of the
applied anthropologists I've come to know over the past eight years--most of
whom have strong records of theoretical contributions and durable
(un-"alienated") relations with the communities in which they work.

There is certainly some debate about what "applied" anthropology exactly
means or comprises--and this debate is particularly lively with those who
operate under that banner. But whether one is reasonably comfortable with
the moniker of "applied" anthropology or, alternatively, prefers one of the
related titles described in Sam Beck's email, I'm sure there are others out
there who, like me, feel that the simple bifurcation through which you view
anthropology poorly characterizes our work in the discipline. As Galey
suggests, I'm interested in applying my work (and comfortable with the wide
ambit of that verb). I'm equally interested in using that same work to
contribute to social theory.

>From my perspective, the dichotomy you propose is more a "fact" produced as
part of the articulation of an academic discipline than a useful map of
anthropology as it is actually practiced. I'd urge you to revisit the work
of some portion of the thousands of applied/practicing/engaged/etc.
anthropologists before you write them off as anti-intellectual, alienated,
and theoretically disengaged. Hopefully, you can find some space for those,
like me, wish to straddle the divide you perceive.

Andrew Gardner
Department of Anthropology
University of Arizona