[URBANTH-L]Reply to need for useful urban anthropology

Carl Maida cmaida at ucla.edu
Sun May 1 13:55:33 EDT 2005

I agree with Sam Beck and Art Hansen about the intellectual relevance
of applied anthropology to the discipline. As an anthropologist engaged
in long-term fieldwork on urban quality of life issues in recent
immigrant communities in Southern California, I have been able to study
globalization, sustainability, and generational change. The challenge
to applied anthropologists is to find the arenas, in print and at
conferences, where they can discuss their research in the theoretical
debates within the discipline.  Sam Beck and I have been attempting to
create just such an arena at the annual AAA meeting over the past few
years.

Carl Maida
UCLA