[URBANTH-L]NEWS: the week Paris burned

Vicki Brennan v-brennan at uchicago.edu
Sun Nov 6 18:51:18 EST 2005

Good information as well as a critique of the media coverage of the
riots can be found here:
http://okrasoup.typepad.com/black_looks/2005/11/_members_of_par.html

I've pasted in an excerpt below but urge everyone to go read the entire
entry on this topic.
Best,
Vicki Brennan
University of Chicago

***

 From
http://okrasoup.typepad.com/black_looks/2005/11/_members_of_par.html

Members of Paris’s African community have been rioting in the streets
of Paris for the past 9 days. The riots were triggered by the death of
two youths of African decent,  Bouna Traore, aged 15, and Zyed Benna,
17, were electrocuted at an electricity sub-station in Clichy-sous-Bois
as they ran from the police.   A third youth who escaped death, said
they panicked and ran because they found themselves near  the scene of
a break-in  incident where police began to arrive.  The police of
course deny any involvement in the boys death.  It should be noted that
these young people are not immigrants. Their grandparents and possibly
their parents are but they are born in France and are French citizens.
Constantly referring to them as "immigrants" is a problem in itself and
reinforces their exclusion from mainstream French society.

The boys did not have criminal records nor were they known to the
police so why did they run. The explanation given in Indymedia Paris by
Laurent Levy is very plausible given the appalling racist record of the
French police.  They knew what would happen to them if they were
stopped for an ID check.  They would risk being detained and spending
several hours being humiliated at the police station - you do not have
to have much of an imagination to know the kind of taunts the boys
would be subjected to.  It was late and they wanted to get home where
they were expected by their families.  Levy also asks why the Minister
of the Interior Nicolas Sarkozy had to say that this drama took place
after a burglary attempt implying the boys were invovled or boys "like
them" ie Africans and Arabs.

Following the death of the boys on Thursday there were two days of
riots.  On the Saturday community members in an attempt to calm the
situation organised a silent march in memory of the teenagers.    In
the evening, some 150 young Africans met with the Mayor to discuss the
events.   The mayor talked about the cost of the damage but did not
make any reference to the heavy handed policing.  The youths became
very angry at the police, the repression, the abusive language directed
at their mothers, calling them sluts.  The police began to arrive with
flashballs (for shooting rubber bullets) and riot gear provoking the
crowds.  They then told the brother of one of the dead youths to go
home. He took three steps towards  the police who then began to fire
tear gas at the crowd.  The following day, about 8.30pm on Sunday
evening there was another incident which took place around the local
Mosque. By this time according to Netlex things had calmed down but it
seems the police presence was heavy in the area.  It is not clear what
exactly happened but the police released tear gas grenades one of which
landed in the local Mosque during prayers which was full of families.
A panic followed as the building filled with smoke and people were
crying and coughing and running. It is this incident that triggered the
riots again and they have continued ever since spreading into a
worsening situation and spreading to other French cities.