[URBANTH-L]NEWS: the week Paris burned

Kris Olds olds at geography.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 7 08:35:42 EST 2005

I use La Haine in my Intro to the City class - an
email text version of some of my assignment is
pasted below. If you have not seen it I highly
recommend that you do so. My students are
wide-eyed right now...best to show it in a room
with a proper projector and a powerful sound
system though.

Kris

GEOG/URPL 305 (Fall 2005)
La Haine Exercise

La Haine is a now famous film that portrays a
side of Paris rarely discussed in books and
magazines, nor seen on American TV or in popular
films though this week (with the ongoing riots)
is an exception. Here are several reviews of the
film to get you going:

http://frenchfilms.topcities.com/nf_La_haine_rev.html
http://www.film.u-net.com/Movies/Reviews/La_Haine.html
http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~os0tmc/contemp1/lahaine.htm
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19960419/REVIEWS/604190301/1023
http://www.stanford.edu/group/SHR/5-2/sussman.html

The film follows one day in the lives of three
unemployed young men (Vinz, Saïd, and Hubert) who
live on a housing estate in a deprived suburb of
Paris. But suburb is perhaps an inappropriate
term. These youths are actually living in what it
known as a banlieue. A good review of this
spatial concept, as examined in La Haine, is
contained in Fielder's chapter from a book titled
Cinematic Cities.  In this article, which is
available on the 305 eReserves site (see
'Poaching on Public Space: Urban Autonomous Zones
in French Banlieue Films'), Fielder (2001:
270-271) notes:

The current meaning of the term emerged in the
years following World War Two, when immigrants
from former French colonies (especially North
Africans) began erecting shantytowns (or
bidonvilles) on the margins of French cities in
which they comprised the labor force for the
Reconstruction effortsŠ. Starting in the
mid-1960s, low-rent, high-rise apartment
complexes called HLM (Habitations à Loyer Modéré)
were built on the sites of these squatter
communities, which were thus effectively
displaced.  These new neighborhoods became known
as les banlieues, since they are located outside
the 'urban periphery' in cities such as Paris,
Lyon, and Marseille, and today they are home to
the majority of immigrant families living in
France.  In the last two decades, socially- and
spatially-marginalized subjects in the banlieues
have been obliged to cope with a faltering
educational system, extremely atrophied
vocational training, and an unemployment crisis
of epic proportions."

Or, as Sarah Sussman notes in the last internet
site noted above, banlieue are "planned housing
developments for the working classes who can no
longer afford to live in the city."

We are watching this film in 305 as it does a
great job of conveying a range of development
issues associated with cities including:

o	Social exclusion and the city
o	The governance of people in the city
o	Public housing in the city
o	Mobility in the city
o	Diverse imaginings of the city (compare
La Haine to, for example, Amélie)

Here are some key issues, in random order, for
you to think about as the film unfolds:

1.	Close your eyes and imagine Paris.
Reflect upon the Paris of your dreams, of your
imagination.

2.	Are Vinz, Saïd, and Hubert controlled,
managed, identified, or categorized (i.e.,
governed) by anyone in Paris? On a related note,
in which ways, if any, do they interact with arms
of the state?

3.	Cities can be both easy and difficult
places to move through (i.e., walk, drive, travel
via public transit, bike). The nature of the
places that are traversed, distance, time of the
day, and also the identity of the person moving
through the city shape the movement process.
Discuss how Vinz, Saïd, and Hubert move through
Paris - the technologies they use, their
interaction with other people on the street and
in forms of transport, and any difficulties they
might (or might not have) as (respectively) young
single French males (Jew, Arab, and African).

4.	How does urban density and architecture
shape the nature of social interaction in Paris
(as represented in this film)?  Is density a
positive or a negative force, or neither? Is the
aesthetics of Parisian urban and suburban
landscape conveyed in a a positive or a negative
way, or neither?

5.	 Vinz, Saïd, and Hubert seem to be
unemployed. How does Mathieu Kassovitz (the
director and Amelie's beau in the next film)
convey the social effects of long-term
unemployment in the Parisean banlieue? Does he
lay the blame for le fracture sociale (social
exclusion) on anyone in particular?

6.	How is social life in the banlieue
gendered?  In other words, how do gender roles
and identities shape social life in this part of
the city (as conveyed in the film)?  Do you think
such gender roles would apply equally well in all
parts of Paris?

7.	There is a quasi-documentary (à la
Berlin) element in La Haine.  This film
highlights the role of individual subjectivity
and social identity in shaping perceptions of the
city (in this case Paris). Which of the 'lenses'
I spoke about in the class earlier on is this
film closest to: positivist, structuralist,
poststructuralist or humanist?

8.	Contrast this film with ideas of the
'post-Fordist city' (which we have been
discussing).  Is it possible to relate the
challenging nightmare world of Vinz, Saïd, and
Hubert, to the grinding world of urban
restructuring under 'post-Fordism'?

9.	Can you detect any differences between
the conditions conveyed in this film vis a vis
the conditions portrayed in the news stories
about the ongoing riots?

--
Kris Olds
Email: olds at geography.wisc.edu