[URBANTH-L]NEWS: the week Paris burned

Allen Feldman af31 at nyu.edu
Mon Nov 7 11:35:46 EST 2005

To assert that the only function of ethnographic inquiry into political
violence, "rioting" state counterinsurgency and related violations of
human rights and economic justice is a

\'
> contribution to the
> rise of the very systems the Parisians are trying to burn down was due
> to the need for sovereign and disciplinary powers to understand and
> then control the hows and whys of people raising hell, through the
> productionof the very "disciplined knowledge" we tend to value so
> highly...

is reductionist and implies that the history of the discipline came to a
halt somewhere in the mid 1960s. Since then ( and even before) many
anthropologists have witnessed and cogently written against state
violence and economic and racial injustice, and in a few locales such as
Guatemala and the (ex)Soviet Union have actually been imprisoned and or
 killed for their research activities against the state. It also assumes
a artificial isolation of the so-called rioters as  a isolated discrete
and reified passive analytic object, when surely any ethnographic
inquiry here would have to engage the state apparatus and the media to
be holistic and would  also require the active consent of the
community-based  stake holders and role players.

>Do we really believe that some sort of "disciplined knowledge" is what
> is needed?
Oh yes, to counter and to contest the disciplined knowledge of the
police system the legal system, media system, the counterinsurgency
techniques,  the systems of incarceration/interrogation, and  of the
rehabilitative social service/ clinical discourses that  are politically
arrayed  against such actions from below.
 and that will  monopolize the discourse on the riots and the rioters
in the public culture creating even more violence and social erasure.

>The people
>in rioting in Parisian suburbs and housing projects are not the same as
>the people studying in US universities. It is best not to confuse
>writing a dissertation with burning a car. Different endeavours,
>different audiences, different goals, different effect

 Can we add French universities here and for a moment recall May 1968,
in which both students( academics) and workers "rioted."  Further
ethnographic inquiry has always arisen from cultural and class  racial,
religious differentials not withstanding  local and/or indigene
anthropologist who may share culture and language with informants but
rarely  class. In any case ethnographic access to the communities and
experience of the protesters will only take place with their permission
and cooperation if they see it as advancing their interests-getting
their story out, one cannot impose such research on resistance
communities. Cultural and class differentials will also characterize the
volunteer human rights monitors, the legal advocates and medical people
who will be  urgently needed in that community to deal with the effects
of  anti-state and state violence on the community  whether the victims
were "rioters" or not. Should they abstain from their work simply
because they are "different" from the community in which these actions
are taking place? In a Gramscian war of position the formation of
counter hegemony requires different audiences, tactics, goals and effects.

Allen Feldman
Culture and Communication
New York University