[URBANTH-L]NEWS: the week Paris burned

Audrey Steiner asteiner at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 7 13:57:44 EST 2005

>I agree with Paul that applying information gleaned from
>empirically-founded anthropological research could be highly
>fruitful in raging conflicts.  Although, as Adeola Enigbokan points
>out, the people who are battling in Paris are responding
>"viscerally," "systems the Parisians are trying to burn down" cannot
>be burnt down.  Rather than material, the action is intrinsically
>symbollic, flailing at symbollic "systems," and is the kind of
>action that governments have lots of experience in controlling.  I
>don't hold much hope for its success in fomenting real change on the
>level needed.

On the other hand, the qualitative properties of diligent
anthropology lend themselves to uncovering effective strategies of
assertion on multiple scales and on multiple planes.  The
possibilities for anthropologists to contribute to alleviation of
suffering due to class conflict are endless.  For example, as
Hartigan illustrates in Racial Situations: Class Predicaments of
Whiteness in Detroit, discourse analysis can divulge the fact that
there are contests in which, although there is a common language,
there is "no neutral language, short of saying nothing at all,
through which ... differences and interests could be framed and
discussed" (246).  If there is no way to speak, communication is all
but severed.  Anthropologists can seek to first recognize and uncover
societally-imposed limitations then locate examples of people's
creative solutions to these.

Researching how a people has successfully translated scalar
differences, such as between a large international bureaucracy,
public or private, and a group of individuals is another contribution
with potential for direct application.  When Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr. carried out non-violent civil disobedience, it was an effective
tool, but now peaceful protests and even armed skirmishes are
virtually ignored by those in power.  What other strategy has worked
to throw off oppressors?  To what degree can terrorism succeed?  How
specifically do mortal enemies join to become allied in a larger
fight?  What is the role of a charismatic leader now?  If any, what
kinds of symbols affect oppressors now?  Etc.

>Adeola Enigbokan states, "Assuming that anthropologists can do more
>than 'argue the finer points of postmodernism,' is to misunderstand
>one's own position within a
powerful institution, and to disregard the importance of 'arguing
finer points.' Arguing amongst ourselves is what we do best, and to
greatest effect.  Anthropologists, as is true for most academics,
WRITE. The power of the academy lies in its support for the
activities of reading,talking and most of all, writing."  This
generalizing definition of what anthropologists are and do does not
address the fact that the academy is not the only site of
anthropologists, nor does it recognize the strong and vibrant
movement of activist anthropology.  More fundamentally, it does not
address the relevance of sharing knowledge with those outside the
ivied ivory towers, and it ignores the activity "the power of the
academy" is traditionally rumored to support most of all - free
thinking.

Best,
Audrey Steiner
Anthropology Graduate Student