[URBANTH-L]CFP: The City: A Festival of Knowledge (Toronto)

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Thu Nov 17 17:18:38 EST 2005

From: Marc Stein <mrstein at yorku.ca>

Information about the Congress of the Canadian Federation for the Humanities
and Social Sciences, scheduled to take place at York University in Toronto 27
May-3 June, can be found at:

http://www.fedcan.ca/congress2006/

The website contains this description of the conference theme:

The City: A Festival of Knowledge

The synergies and complexities of 21st century culture, society, politics,
economics and communications are dominated by the city. While the city in
history has had a profound effect on the civilizations that built them, the
contemporary city is at once local and global. In Canada, it has become the
crucible of the country's future.

As the theme of Congress 2006, "The City" is intended to stimulate discussion,
debate, and exchange across a wide-ranging variety of perspectives and against
the background of disciplinary, multi-disciplinary and interdisciplinary
research and scholarship. It presents opportunities for Congress delegates and
associations - individually and/or collaboratively - to explore a range of
issues and approaches to "the city".

The subtitle, "A Festival of Knowledge" conveys our hope that Congress 2006
will be a celebration of learning and creativity, which will draw in the many
communities - academic and cultural; multicultural; local, national and
international - of which we are a part. It also acknowledges our intention to
highlight the University's many renowned fine artists and creative activities
which are integral to York's interdisciplinary vision.

John Lennox
2006 Congress Convenor
York University