[URBANTH-L]CFP: Migrant and Diasporic Cinema in Contemporary Europe

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Mon Oct 3 14:57:08 EDT 2005

From: Daniela Berghahn <dberghahn at brookes.ac.uk>

CFP: Migrant and Diasporic Cinema in Contemporary Europe

An International Conference hosted by Film Studies and the Institute for
Historical and Cultural Research, Oxford Brookes University and held at
Lincoln College, Oxford, 6 - 8 July 2006

With European cinemas becoming increasingly determined by multi-
cultural and multi-ethnic presences and themes, critical paradigms which
examine these cinemas in terms of their national specificity do not
adequately address the shift from the national to the transnational
which has occurred in all areas of European cinema during the past
twenty-five years. This conference seeks to explore how migrant and
diasporic filmmakers have redefined our understanding of European
cinema. By adopting a comparative perspective in our search for the
commonalities and specificities between migrant and diasporic cinemas
across different European countries, we endeavour to transcend the
borders and limitations of an analytical framework that privileges the
concept of discrete national cinemas.

Please visit the conference website for further details and a
downloadable Call for Papers:

http://ah.brookes.ac.uk/conferences/migrant_cinema

Please send a proposal of 200 - 300  words for a paper of approx. 20
minutes, together with your contact details and a brief biographical
note to the following email address: dberghahn at brookes.ac.uk

The deadline is Saturday, 31 December 2005. Please mark subject box
'Migrant cinema conference'.

Dr Daniela Berghahn
School of Arts and Humanities
Film Studies