[URBANTH-L]In the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina (responses)

nanderso nanderso at utk.edu
Fri Sep 9 10:02:58 EDT 2005

Hi all,

What troubles me the most about the Superdome are the rapes. I heard about a 7
year old girl who was raped by a man. The man was pulled off of her and beaten
to death by 20 other men. There are a number of other rape stories I have
heard, this is so sad.  The trauma a person endures from a disaster like a
hurricane and flood and then to be subjected to this violence. Unfortunately,
I know first hand what a rape is like and what it does to you.  I also know
too well the advice the courts gave me. "Carry a cell phone to call the
police, but remember the response time for the police is slow, you may be dead
by then."  I am appalled by the idea that order must be restored among "These
People" - an obvious marking of the Other. What would I have done in this
situation. Damn straight, I would have stolen any kind of food or drink,
including meat (recovering vegetarian - fieldwork took me off the vegetarian
kick). I would fight anyone who threatened me or my family - and any children
or elderly surrounding me. If warranted, I would shoot anyone who was
threatening the said party above with rape and/or murder. I am not endorsing
stopping violence with violence, but when you do not have anyone to advocate
for your safety then extreme measures must be taken.

Sadden,
Nancy

>===== Original Message From "Hogan, Mikel" <mhogan at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU>
=====
>Hi there, I heard an hour interview with a 79 year old woman, Mrs. Myers, on
community radio today. She described the 5 days she spent in the Superdome. In
her area, people helped each other to a high degree and she described how "the
young people" kept them alive from taking water, juice and ice from grocery
stores (called "looting" by the corporate media). She said the Red Cross was
not there any of the 5 days she was there. FYI--Mikel Hogan