[URBANTH-L]Looking for roundtable discussants for the 2007 AHA

Brigitte Jelen brigitte_jelen at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 18:54:01 EDT 2005

Hello,

I would like to organize a roundtable/discussion group of 5 people for the 2007
American Historical Association meeting. Their submission deadline is Feb.2006
so I am trying to get a headstart. The theme for 2007 is "Unstable Subjects:
Practicing History in Unsettled Times", you can find more details at
<<http://www.historians.org/Perspectives/Issues/2005/0509/0509ann4.cfm>>

My dissertation focuses on the cultural and historical (in)visibility of
immigrants in post-colonial France. Although there has been recent work on the
history of immigrants and the history of immigration in France, these histories
have developed in parallel to national French history. It is still difficult to
find a history discussing how French and Immigrants have lived "together" at a
certain historical moment. I believe that one of the ways of approaching this
history of "living together" can be through micro-histories of specific cities
and their populations.

I would be interested in discussing this with other historians interested in
how groups from different cultural, religious, or ethnic backgrounds have lived
in cities together, despite their differences, and how an inclusive history of
these cities can be written.

If you are interested in these questions and work on a different geographical
context than France (or even Europe), please contact me at (bjelen at uci.edu) and
possibly we can try to put something together for the 2007 AHA.

Regards
Brigitte Jelen
PhD Candidate
Department of History