[URBANTH-L]contributions to AN

Elzbieta Gozdziak emg27 at georgetown.edu
Wed Sep 28 10:54:59 EDT 2005

The editors of  Anthropology News are looking for contributions to the
Views on Policy series for the Dec  edition of AN on the
evolution/intelligent design debate.  Please submit your entries to
Elzbieta Gozdziak at emg27 at georgetown.edu by October 15th.

Debating Evolution

 New York Times, Washington Post, New Republic and many other major
popular newspapers and magazines have lead with headlines in past months
on the evolution debate, the history of evolution litigation and recent
trials about the teaching of evolution and intelligent design.   Clearly
this treads on anthropologists' ground.   But as the debate continues to
heat up, AN asks readers to submit not only their views on the teaching
of evolution, but to contribute to a Views on Policy series that seeks
to understand what is underpinning current debate and litigation on
evolution/intelligent design/creationism and how these debates and
trials play out?  Submissions should be 800-1000 words and emailed to
slathrop at aaanet.org by Oct 25, 2005.

 Particular questions include (but are not limited to) the following:

 Much of the rhetoric in evolution debates boil down to assumed
boundaries between "science" and "religion."  Furthermore, in evolution
litigation, courts in the US base much on interpretations of the US
Constitution's "Establishment Clause," particularly what now gets tagged
as "separation of Church and State."   How can anthropologists provide
insight to this rhetoric and constitutional clause and the history of
their interpretations?   Also, how might cross-cultural research shed
light on these events in occurring in the US?

 How should anthropologists analyze the powerful role of the state in
determining how humans understand the world?  Courts and legislatures in
the US are trying to make laws and interpret laws that determine what
will be taught in schools.  Evolutionists, intelligent design proponents
and creationsists appear to be trying to sway this "public sphere."
How might anthropologists' theorizing about private and public bring
insight to these events?

 There is a lot of talk about "scientific literacy" and the lack of it
in the US.  How might we best go about understanding scientific
illiteracy and responding to it?  Also, why hasn't the popular media
questioned the "religious literacy" of Americans?  Could it be that
scientists and religious groups are both feeling marginalized in a new
US public culture?  What are most Americans literate in?  Furthermore,
are museums still successful in educating the public?  Interestingly the
creationists adopted evolutionists' practice of communicating their
knowledge through a museum with the opening of the Creation Museum near
Cincinnati, Ohio.  Furthermore, evolutionist and intelligent design
proponents have developed other centers for education and advocacy.  How
should these developments be best understood?  And should anthropology
continue to take a public education and advocacy stand on these issues?

 In thinking about how evolution debates play out in real lives, would
it be fair to say that some of this is based not only in science and
politics but ritual?  For instance, Richard Sternberg, the previous
editor of the /Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington/, was
reported by the Wall Street Journal to be "outcasted" by the National
Museum of Natural History where he worked after publishing intelligent
design theorist Stephen Meyer's piece in the proceedings ("The Branding
of a Heretic," January 28, 2005).  How might we think about the
application of freedom of speech here?  Also how should we think about
the role of editors and peer review?  On what criteria should editors
and reviewers base their judgments of an argument?    And are some
arguments only appropriate in some spaces and not others?  If we should
maintain rigid boundaries between genre, why should we and how should we
determine these?

 Is "intelligent design" a hybrid theory of sorts or is it really only a
secular mask for creationism as many evolutionists argue?  Even if it is
a mask for creationism, why might the mask be necessary today?

 Finally, would it be appropriate to trace these debates back to modern
philosophy?   For example, how do past attempts to understand "natural
law" underpin current understandings and empirical, rational/logical and
faith-based attempts of understanding human origins or creation?
Furthermore, what can anthropology say about narrating human origins
cross-culturally?  And why might humans even really care about our
"origins"?

--
Elzbieta M. Gozdziak, Ph.D.
Research Director