[URBANTH-L] CFP: Transitional Spaces & Places: Exploring Boundaries, Borders & Intersections

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Wed Apr 19 18:37:05 EDT 2006

TRANSITIONAL SPACES & PLACES: EXPLORING BOUNDARIES, BORDERS, & INTERSECTIONS
Abstract Deadline: May 15, 2006

Fordham University
New York City
October 6-8, 2006
Keynote Speaker: TBA

This interdisciplinary graduate conference seeks to explore issues of
environment and the degree to which human beings, animals, and other living
or non-living creatures relate to their surroundings. Our emphasis will be
not only on adapting (or failing to adapt) to these surrounding spaces, but
on the degree to which we challenge these constructions of place. How have
philosophers conceptualized space and place? Can the two terms be defined
and used interchangeably? Is there a distinction to be made (in literature,
history, science, etc.) between actual and imagined spaces? How do specific
literary works, genres, authors, etc. characterize environment? Is it merely
a background setting, or does it assume a more powerful symbolic and/or
literal [interactional] role? In what ways do travel narratives, historical
accounts, geographic records, etc. push the boundaries and challenge the
borders between various places? How do space and place pertain to
nationhood, national identity, ethnicity, religion, etc.? In what ways to
writers, political scientists, ecologists, environmental historians, etc.
encourage us to cross over borders, push boundaries, and embrace
intersections? These are just some of the many questions that we would like
to explore. Below are several suggested panel themes, but we invite related
proposals, along with proposals for round table discussions as well.

I.) Ecological Interconnectedness: Romantic or Postmodern?
II.) Geographies, Geologies, and Ecosystems
III.) Exploring Environmental Histories
IV.) Environmental Activism & Socio-Political Eco-Criticism
V.) Place Vs. Space
VI.) Travel Narratives
VII.) Representations of Astronomy (Outer Space) in Literature
VIII.) Spaces of the Body
IX.) Transatlantic Considerations
X.) Urban Environments (The City)/Urban Pastoralism
XI.) Waterscapes & Landscapes
XII.) Utopias and Dystopias
XIII.) Borders and Borderlands
XIV.) Intra-ethnic translations
XV.) Being Bicultural
XVI.) The US/Mexico Border
XVII.) Asian/American
XVIII.) Gendered Spaces

Please send your 300 word abstract to fordhamgeaconference at gmail.com no
later than May 15, 2006.

Melissa Whalen
Fordham University; Department of English
Dealy Hall
441 East Fordham Road
Bronx, NY 10458
Email: fordhamgeaconference at gmail.com