[URBANTH-L]CFP: Archaeology of Tourism session, SHA 07, Williamsburg, VA

Matthew Palus mpalus at starpower.net
Wed Apr 26 23:57:28 EDT 2006

To  list members (please excuse cross-postings)

CALL FOR PAPERS: We are organizing a session on the Archaeology of
Tourism for the 2007 Society for Historical Archaeology conference
planned for Williamsburg, VA in January 2007.  We invite your
consideration.

The session abstract is pasted below.  Conference information is
available at: http://www.sha.org/
The submission deadline for the conference is June 1, 2006, we kindly
ask that you provide us with abstracts for our review by May 15, 2006.

Please respond to: anthczm at hofstra.edu

Thank you.
Chris Matthews and Matt Palus

The Archaeology of Tourism
Session proposal for SHA '07, Williamsburg
Christopher N. Matthews (Hofstra U) and Matthew Palus (Columbia U),
Organizers

Abstract.
Archaeological sites and representations are a growing component of the
global tourism industry.  The material presence of sites and museums on
the landscape combined with their allusion to distant places and
cultures produces an aura of authenticity attractive to modern
tourists. Tourism is so important within archaeology that the
accommodation of tourist access while maintaining a dedication to
preservation and research interests of archaeologists and their
collaborators is an increasingly common practical and ethical concern.
This growing trend also reflects the now widely accepted sense that the
past is a public (writ popular) resource, an idea that also supports
that presentation of the past for popular consumption.  While
conservation (saving the past for the future) is a valuable ethic, it
may benefit from an examination of its own history and materiality.

The proposed session considers the archaeology of tourism with the
intent of offering a critical perspective on the situation of the
tourist industry within capitalism.  Its aim is to examine with
archaeology how a diversity of sites have been conceived and
constructed as touristic so that we may better understand now what
tourists expect from their experience.  This involves both
archaeological examinations of sites created in the past as well as
archaeological and ethnographic studies of the way sites and museum
representations are constructed and experienced today.  Certainly, the
entanglement of past and present touristic sites and experiences is
also a ripe location for potentially powerful research.

Our premise is that in archaeological tourism it is tourists and the
tourism industry that hold the upper hand.  Yet, we maintain, an
examination of the materiality of tourism creates opportunities of
presenting for touristic consumption material histories of tourist
sites that may grant visitors the space for a now-absent critical
reflection on their experience as tourists in the modern world.