[URBANTH-L]change of use of buildings in traditional cultures

Michael Guggenheim migug at bluewin.ch
Thu Aug 10 13:27:45 EDT 2006

Dear list members,

I am doing a research project on change of use of buildings and the
history of the concept of change of use. According to some theories,
(cf. A. Rapoport) the link between house form and culture is in
traditional societies stronger than in modern day society.
This would mean that change of use of buildings would produce massive
problems for traditional societies. For example: Are there instances
where buildings used for living are turned into buildings for sacred
practices or vice versa? I wonder whether any literature, especially
ethnographic literature exists on this topic, and if so, if list
members could help me with some bibliographical hints.
(I work on Western 20th Century Examples, which explains my
unfamiliarity with this literature)

best
Michael

Dr. Michael Guggenheim
Ethnologisches Seminar der Universität Zürich

Postadresse:
Seefeldstr. 86
8008 Zürich

migug at bluewin.ch