[URBANTH-L] IMPORTANT Call for papers on 'South Asian Mgration and Religion in Europe.

Chiara Cipollari chiarac98 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 11:17:23 EST 2006

Dear Colleagues,

This call for papers follows a panel on South Asian
migration to Europe held at the British Associations
for South Asian Studies (Birbeck 2006), which
identified religion as an important aspect in
understanding South Asian migration to Europe both in
terms of public discourses and migrant practices
although hitherto marginal in the narrative of a
global South Asian diaspora.

Kanwal and I are now planning to edit a volume that
explores the multi-faceted experiences of religion
among South Asian migrants in Europe. Please, find
more information in the document attached.

We had encouraging responses for publications from
Routledge South Asian Collection: oddly enough, there
is a dearth of comparative researches on that topic.

We believe this can be a good opportunity to bring
together different ethnographical and theoretical
perspectives on this emerging phenomena.

We really hope you would be interested in taking part
to the project. We suggest to send us an e.mail of
interest by the 15th of December. We ask for a 300-500
word abstracts by the 31th of January 2007.

We are looking forward to hear from you.
Best Wishes
Ester Gallo and Kanwal Mand

Dr. Kanwal Mand
Department of Social Anthropology