[URBANTH-L] FUNDING: Fulbright Humanity in Action's International Human Rights Summer Fellowship (undergrad)

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Sun Jan 29 14:50:18 EST 2006

From: Fulbright Association <fulbright at fulbright.org>
To: FULBRIGHT at LISTSERV.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Subject: Seeking Applicants for Int'l. Human Rights Summer Fellowships

The Fulbright Association is pleased to forward to you information on
Humanity in Action's International Human Rights Summer Fellowship program.
Please see message below or visit http://www.humanityinaction.org for more
information.

Best regards,

Marshall

****************
Marshall Ellis
Senior Director, Membership
Fulbright Association
666 11th Street, NW, Suite 525
Washington, DC  20001
Ph: (202) 347-5543
Fax: (202) 347-6540
marshall.ellis at fulbright.org
www.fulbright.org

Find events for Fulbrighters online at http://www.fulbright.org/calendar.

SEEKING APPLICANTS FOR INT'L. HUMAN RIGHTS SUMMER FELLOWSHIPS
Application Deadline: February 7, 2006
Eligibility: Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors from US Colleges/Universities
Website (to download applications & learn more):
http://www.humanityinaction.org

Humanity in Action sponsors six summer programs on minority issues in Europe
and the United States. This year we will select a total of 70 students from
U.S. colleges and universities to participate in the 2006 programs. We are
looking for applicants from all majors with a commitment to human rights and
minority issues. The 2006 summer programs will take place in Amsterdam,
Berlin, Copenhagen, New York, Paris, and Warsaw. Because we are seeking to
recruit the best of the best, we pay virtually all of the costs of
participation.

Humanity in Action (HIA) is a New York-based not-for-profit organization
that seeks to engage, inspire, and empower future human rights leaders by
giving them the opportunity to meet current human rights leaders in the
context of transnational educational programs. In each program, American
students work with an equal number of university students in the host
countries. (Note: European students from HIA host countries can also find
applications for the program on the website). Although each program focuses
on current minority and human rights issues in the host country, in all
programs students study histories and theories of resistance to the abuse of
human rights and the development of international human rights doctrines and
institutions in the aftermath of World War II and the Holocaust. HIA engages
Fellows in an ongoing trans-Atlantic dialogue about the challenges that
democratic societies encounter as they experience new degrees and forms of
diversity.

Upon completion of the summer program, HIA seeks to further the personal and
professional growth of participants by offering a network of Senior Fellows
(graduates of the program) in the U.S. and Europe, periodic lectures and
conferences, and eligibility for a variety of prestigious internships
(currently including the International Criminal Tribunal for the former
Yugoslavia, Interpol, the U.S. House of Representatives, the European
Parliament, and others). Complete information about HIA and the full range
of our programs can be found on our website: http://www.humanityinaction.org