[URBANTH-L] JOB: U of Nijmegen, the Netherlands, Human Geography, Asst. Prof. (2 positions)

Benito Vergara bvergara at sfsu.edu
Sun May 21 21:56:03 EDT 2006

Maximum salary: ? 4705.-- gross/month depending on experience
Vacancy number: 27.23.06
Closing date: June, 16, 2006
Job description

The Department of Human Geography at the University of Nijmegen,
Netherlands would like to announce two open positions for Assistant
Professor in Human Geography . We are looking for candidates, who have
expertise and can contribute to one or more of the following fields:

   1. economic geographic issues
   2. urban issues
   3. issues of globalisation, migration and development

We seek to fill these two positions with two candidates, who offer an
optimal coverage of one or more of those fields. As our department
assumes a high academic standard and tries to keep up a lively,
inspiring, critical and constructive intellectual debate between the
member of the department and with colleagues of neighbouring
disciplines, a firm basis in and deeper insights into the topical
theoretical discussions will be a definitive plus. In the framework of
our Alexander von Humboldt Lecture Series we also regularly invite
distinguished academic guests to provide inputs into these debates. With
respect to research he/she will develop and carry out high quality
research activities in the mentioned subfields of Human Geography, and
be required to obtain additional funding from governmental, European
and/or private institutions, and to build further on the
internationalization process within the Department. In teaching he/she
will contribute high-quality courses to the Master programme in Human
Geography and to the joint Bachelor programme in Human Geography and
Spatial Planning. Most teaching in our programme is conducted in
cooperation with a colleague, to enable flexibility and the combination
of different expertises. The groups we teach vary from ±60 students to
small groups tutorials with 4-5 students. We also highly value and use a
great variety of stimulating interactive teaching methods. The assistant
professors must furthermore be able to coach a team of professionals,
and stimulate them in developing their academic careers, as well as a
network of graduates in Human Geography, and develop and supervise PhD
projects. As we are keen on strengthening the position of the department
in the international human geographic academic community the candidate
should be able to develop a high-profile research programme. Our
department is international and often we communicate in English with
each other. Nevertheless it is also important to be able to relate to
our local situation and to be able to communicate with students in
Dutch. We therefore expect foreign candidates to learn Dutch within one
year. Several courses to facilitate this are available. Experience has
shown that this condition can easily be fulfilled.
Requirements

The applicant must have a PhD degree in Geography or in a related social
science discipline. The applicant is expected to be an enthusiastic and
eager researcher and an inspiring teacher. It is an important advantage
if the applicant has a track record of publications, of teaching at both
bachelor and master level and of attracting research funds from research
councils and other external parties, and finally has a ability to
inspire young scholars (PhD students) as well as empower a team of
professionals.

See for further information: www.ru.nl/socgeo/vacancies