[URBANTH-L]CFP: Aqui Luchamos, Aqui Estamos: Reaffirming our Commitment to Activism & Resistance Through Scholarship

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:57:55 EST 2006

"AQUI LUCHAMOS, AQUI ESTAMOS: REAFFIRMING OUR COMMITMENT TO ACTIVISM AND
RESISTANCE THROUGH SCHOLARSHIP"
The 3rd Biennial Latina/o Studies Graduate Student Conference

Call for Proposals

Deadline: November 17, 2006

The Latina/Latino Studies Program of the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign invites proposals/abstracts for an interdisciplinary
graduate student conference to be held at UIUC on February 23-25, 2007. The
purpose of this Conference is to explore the historical and cultural
processes that affect Latinas/os in the United States. We aim to contribute
to the understanding of Latino/a communities in the U.S. by promoting
interdisciplinary analyses of shared social, political, cultural, histories,
and educational realities of Latinas/os. "Aqui Luchamos, Aqui Estamos:
Reaffirming our Commitment to Activism and Resistance through Scholarship"
will foster an ongoing dialogue across disciplines that will consider the
commonalities, differences, and diverse experiences of Latino/a populations
in this country. The Conference will commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the
Latina/Latino Studies Program at UIUC. Limited funding support for travel
may be available.

Topics could include but are not limited to:
. Activism
. Issues of social justice
. Reclaiming space
. Identity politics
. Building community
. Immigration and Transnationalism
. Citizenship
. Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality
. Chicana/Chicano Studies

Please send your abstracts (no more than 500 words) along with title, name,
contact information, program, and university affiliation, no later than
November 17, 2006 to:

Latina/Latino Studies Program
510 East Chalmers
Champaign IL, 61820
http://www.lls.uiuc.edu
For questions, please email Laura Atuesta, LLSP Graduate Outreach
Coordinator at latuest2 at uiuc.edu or call 217-265-0370.

Laura Atuesta

Email: latuest2 at uiuc.edu
Visit the website at http://www.lls.uiuc.edu