[URBANTH-L]CFP: Polis and Politics: Italian Urbanism under Fascism

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:59:42 EST 2006

"Polis and Politics: Italian Urbanism under Fascism"
Columbia University in the City of New York
April 27 and 28, 2007

Deadline: December 15, 2006

In Fascist Italy the urban environment served as a critical cultural
reference from which artists, architects, politicians, and planners sought
to fashion a new Italy. This conference asks the question of why the city
exerted such a powerful influence over contemporary artistic practice and
what were the consequences. While scholars have documented many of the major
urban interventions in cities such as Rome and considerable attention has
been given to the new towns founded by Mussolini, recently historians have
begun to look at other models and examples that enrich and complicate our
understanding of Fascism's interest in cities and towns.

We invite papers dealing with a broad range of concerns, such as colonial
town planning, the fabrication of collective memory through monuments,
ideologically selective archaeology and preservation, the Italian
translation of CIAM principles, and the intensely politicized nature of
urban interventions in the period of Fascist rule. We encourage papers from
the broad range of disciplines that have contributed to modern Italian
architectural history, including anthropology, geography, history and
literary criticism.
To be considered, please submit an abstract (300 words, maximum) and a brief
c.v. by December 15, 2006 to Andrew Manson at ajm56 at columbia.edu. Complete
papers will be due in March 2007, and are expected to be approximately 25
minutes in length. Graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and junior
faculty are particularly encouraged to apply. The conference is co-sponsored
by the Department of Art History, the Graduate School of Architecture,
Planning and Preservation, and the Italian Academy.

Andrew Manson
Department of Att History and Archaeology
Columbia University
Email: ajm56 at columbia.edu