[URBANTH-L]help with immigration case

Dr. Rachel H. Adler radler at tcnj.edu
Wed Nov 29 14:00:21 EST 2006

Hello fellow urban anthropologists,

I received this request (below) from a friend of mine who is an
immigration attorney at a non-profit. If you can help her, or know someone
who can, please contact her directly at durbak at tcnj.edu

Thanks in advance for your generous help with this case.

Best,
Rachel Adler

I have a case of a Liberian, married to a US citizen, whose marriage
disintegrated shortly after entry into the US, b/c of cultural problems.
The US citizen, who is an African-American had gone to Africa to find a
mate.  From her perspective, there were not going to be cultural
differences, since they were both black and Christian.  I know that
intercultural marriages often run into snags.  However, I was wondering if
you happened to know of anyone in sociology or anthropology who is
studying or has studied inter-cultural marriages, who might be willing to
help me.  I would speak to the person and then draft a proposed affidavit
-- or that person could simply forward me some pertinent articles.
Is there anyone to whom you could refer me?

Thanks,
Tatiana Durbak

--
Dr. Rachel H. Adler, Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Sociology and Anthropology