[URBANTH-L] CFP: Imperial Curiosity: Objects, Representations, Knowledges (Australia)

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Sun Oct 22 16:18:27 EDT 2006

Imperial Curiosity: Objects, Representations, Knowledges

Alongside economic, political, and strategic motivations, curiosity spurred
the spread of empire. This interdisciplinary conference invites scholars and
curators to explore imperial curiosity with the University of Tasmania 's
Centre for Colonialism and Its Aftermath. We want to bring together those
working in various historical, literary, ethnographic, and cultural
collections with scholars from diverse disciplines: literary studies,
geography, Asian studies, history, indigenous studies, art history,
architecture, legal studies, museum studies, gender studies, cultural
studies, and anthropology, amongst others.
We welcome papers which address the following topics, and others which might
surprise us:

Imperial inquisitiveness &/or acquisitiveness
Imperial wonder & awe
Resisting imperial curiosity
The cultural industries of imperialism
Imperial florilegium
Textual economies of curiosity: reading, travels, and travails
Imperial networks and/or the imperial archive
The gendering of imperial curiosity
The psychological terrain of imperial estrangement
Imperial affect (curiosity, fear, awe, pleasure)
Cabinets of curiosities: collecting & classification
The objects of empire
The erotics of empire

250 word abstracts should be submitted no later than 1 December, 2006 and
should be accompanied by a 100 word biographical note.

Hamish Maxwell-Stewart
School of History and Classics
University of Tasmania
Hobart 7005