[URBANTH-L]IRB

Arthur D. Murphy ADMURPHY art_murphy at uncg.edu
Tue Apr 3 15:40:24 EDT 2007

Having served as Associate Vice President for Research where part of my
portfolio was compliance I may have a slightly different take on much of
this.  I would say that a major solution too many of these problems would
be if more Anthropologists would serve on University IRB boards.  We tend
to let others sit on the boards because it is too much trouble or only
involves ?our? field now and then.  All of the above are true, but the
best way to educate IRB boards is to sit on them so they see Anthropology
in action when reviewing other proposals.  Also more Anthropologists
should attend Office of Research Integrity workshops so we know what the
requirements of law are.  Many who sit on IRB boards do not really know
and as such make decisions on what they ?think? their role is.  I am not
trying to blame the victim here it is just that IRB is now a fact of life
and we must learn to work with it not against it.  I for one have found
little difficulty dealing with the IRB for research in the US, Mexico and
Bolivia.

Arthur D. Murphy, PhD
Professor and Head
Department of Anthropology
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro NC 27412-5001
admurphy at uncg.edu
Tel (336) 334-5132
fax (336) 334-5674

"Deborah Pellow" <dpellow at maxwell.syr.edu>
Sent by: urbanth-l-bounces at lists.ysu.edu
04/03/2007 10:03 AM

<gmcdonog at brynmawr.edu>, <urbanth-l at lists.ysu.edu>
cc

Subject
RE: [URBANTH-L]IRB

Appropos of what both Anne and Gary have written in: we in anthropology
HAVE tried to educate the IRB people about our work, the contexts within
which we work, and so on, and sometimes it's successful. It's certainly
better today than it was 15 years ago. When I was going off to do
research in N Ghana last year, the IRB insisted upon a letter of
consent. I gave them one in English and since much of my work would be
in Dagbani, they wanted it in that language. Once in the field I got
help translating it into Dagbani. But as I said the other day, it really
was pro forma.

As for exceptions: this is interesting, because the IRB make such a big
deal about students getting clearance before doing work with human
subjects. As it turns out, they no longer require students doing
interviewing for class projects to hand in an IRB application the
application (I think because their office is short-handed). I asked the
IRB office if it covers all fields and they said any MA/PhD students or
faculty, in the sciences, social sciences, humanities, and so on, doing
field  research are required to do the application.

Deborah Pellow