[URBANTH-L]IRB

Amanda Snellinger ats35 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 4 12:18:30 EDT 2007

I have not been reading through the details of everyone's woes with
IRB so I felt hesitant to contribute at the risk of repeating someone
else's point.

After reading Dr. Murphy's perspective,  I realize it has taken
awhile for the response I had all along to be raised. I completely
agree with him.

I myself had problems getting human subjects approval to work with
student activists, some of whom are under 18. With a few back and
forths with the IRB committee and support from my advisor, my
research was eventually cleared without the requirement that my
informants or their parents must sign an informed consent agreement.
At the time the critiques and concerns of the IRB committee  seemed
completely off base to me.  I soon found out, as you all have, that
no anthropologists or sociologists sit on Cornell's IRB committee.
In discussing this with the IRB head administrator she said it is not
as if they don't try to solicit the participation of those from the
social sciences, they do have but  have been unsuccessful in
convincing anyone to give their time.  She admitted that
participating on the IRB committee is a thankless job.  It does not
manifest in any monetary gain, nor does it bolster your c.v. or add
to your chances of getting tenure.  She figured unless professors had
an ethical stake in participating, then it was only added work to an
academic life that is probably spread too thin.

In a nutshell, anthropologists and other social scientists have to
make a choice.  Either they volunteer to be on these committees with
no substantial benefit in return or we continue to struggle through
the process of cross-discipline misunderstandings in order to gain
institutional approval to do our research.

All that aside,  I found if you are tenacious enough you can get the
approval you need.

Amanda Snellinger
Ph.D. Candidate
Anthropology Department