[URBANTH-L]2nd CFP: Sexing Travel

Dr. Susan Frohlick frohlick at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sat Dec 1 09:46:02 EST 2007

2nd Call for Paper. Please forgive cross-postings.
Call for papers for book:

Sexing Travel: Intimacy and Subjectivity in Women’s International
Tourism

Edited by Susan Frohlick and Jessica Jacobs

Abstracts accepted until January 15, 2008

Full chapters due by July 1, 2008

2009 publication target date

We are seeking ethnographically informed papers that focus on the
multiple dimensions of women’s participation in sexual and intimate
relationships with local men or women in international tourist
destinations, to be included in an edited volume on transnational/
cultural intimacy and sexual subjectivity in women’s travel. We are
currently looking into various channels for publication, and are
aiming for eight contributors.

Scholarship on ‘ethno-sexual relations’ (Nagel, 2003) between
tourists and locals is growing and reflects, in our view, the
expansion of sex tourism in late capitalism from a predominantly
masculine terrain (tied into ideas around the modern subject) and
historical practice to a global phenomenon that includes the gendered
consumption practices of First World women shaped by some women’s
increasing economic power and mobility. Most work to date draws
almost exclusively upon a political-economic framework that refers
to “female sex tourists” or “romance tourists”, whose
parameters are defined by women’s similarity (or difference) to male
sex tourists. As well as sustaining the male subject at the center of
the conceptualization of female sex tourism, we feel these approaches
ignore the complex sensorial and emotional dimensions of women’s
inter-racial, transcultural sexual and intimate relationships with
local people in largely Southern and Third World countries. They also
miss the opportunity to comment on the role these encounters play in
new subject formations and transnational relationships.

We encourage papers that open up the current narrow focus of debate
and do not simply reproduce the argument that First World female
tourists are exploiting their white feminine privilege by taking sex
from young men on the beaches of the Gambia (or Barbados, Bali,
Indonesia, etc) in exchange for money, goods or other less tangible
benefits. We are particularly interested in papers with a strong
empirical grounding, based on fieldwork and ethnographic methodology
or historical approaches, that consider the diverse international
tourist spaces and multifaceted contexts in which these relationships
occur. We especially welcome papers that, as a collection, are multi-
disciplinary (e.g. anthropology, geography, sociology, women’s and
gender studies, cultural and media studies, tourist studies,
history), examine a range of destinations and landscapes, and deal
with a variety of nationalities and ethnicities. Please send an
abstract of between 300 and 500 words before January 15, 2008 to Dr.
Susan Frohlick <frohlick at cc.umanitoba.ca> and Dr. Jessica Jacobs
<jessica.jacobs at blueyonder.co.uk>. Full papers of approximately 7,
000 to 8, 000 words will be expected by April 1, 2008.

**************************************
SUSAN FROHLICK, PHD
Associate Professor, Anthropology
463 University College
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2M8
Office: (204) 474-7872
Email: frohlick at cc.umanitoba.ca

This email is confidential and may contain privileged information.
Any unauthorized dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If
you have received it in error, please delete it and notify me
immediately.