[URBANTH-L]Follow-up on SUNTA Teaching Workshop at AAA

Sam Beck sbeck at med.cornell.edu
Fri Dec 28 09:06:05 EST 2007

SUNTA list readers,

Bob Rotenberg's efforts to address teaching and learning is admirable and Mark Westmoreland's evaluation of Bob's workshop attests to the value of what Bob is doing.  Moreover, this issue of teaching and learning is a curiously empty aspect of the AAA.  We do have a Society for Anthropology and Education and periodically there are efforts to discuss teaching and learing in the General Anthropology Newsletter.  However, neither vehicle does what many other disciplines do, Sociology in particular -our kin.  That is to say, there are no publication venues that allow for the surfacing of educational and learning strategies in the form of academic articles that legitimizes what some of us have devoted our lives to do--teaching students.

Ironically, while many institutions of higher learning speak about research, teaching, and outreach as the central components of what academicians do, it is rare that an individual who teaches well, but does not publish in the specific genre of the moment, will get tenure or gets promoted.  That is not to say that teaching does not count in being evaluated for promotion; it is secondary.  If we could only give teaching an academic value --through publishing, theorizing teaching and learning--we could provide ourselves the political legitimacy that teaching deserves in the academic establishment.

We need to circle around Bob's efforts and reach out beyond SUNTA.  The low turnout, as Mark describes it, for Bob's workshop is an indicator of this subject area and this aspect of anthropological professional practice's status with in the AAA.  It is not seen as a legitimate part of what anthropologists produce, certainly not valued within the structure of the academy and the institutions of higher learning where we work.

Sam