[URBANTH-L] Intersections Blog Summer CFP: Migration and Environmental Change

laru wagner.laru at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:14:14 EDT 2007

For two whole months, until *10 **September*,* *we invite submissions to
Intersections on the topic of Migration and Environmental Change. Inspired
by his efforts, we have invited François Gemenne of the Centre for Ethnic
and Migration Studies (CEDEM, www.cedem.ulg.ac.be) of the University of
Liège and the Centre for International Studies and Research (CERI,
www.ceri-sciences-po.org) at Sciences Po Paris, to contribute to this Summer
Special CFP:

As natural disasters and climate change frequently make headlines in the
media, their consequences on human settlements raise increasing concerns
from policy-makers and scholars alike. In particular, the possible
population movements that would be triggered by climate change have
attracted widespread attention, some predicting that up to 200 million
people could be displaced by 2050.

Despite these concerns, the intricate and complex linkages between
environment and migration remain poorly understood and under-researched. The
academic debate revolves around those contending that large refugee flows
will be triggered by environmental change in a near future, and those who
question the direct causality between environmental change and forced
migration, insisting on the multiple, intertwined factors leading to
migration. While the term 'environmental refugees' is gaining currency, the
need to better understand the nexus environment-migration has never been
more pressing, especially from an empirical point of view. How do
environmental factors interact with other factors in the migration decision?
How are these migrants dealt with by states and governments? What kind of
assistance do they need? Will an increase in environmental changes lead to
an increase of forced migrants? What kind of environmental changes trigger
migration?

As usual, we welcome all kinds of audio, visual and written production, as
well as commentary and debate, to be sent to intersectionsblog at gmail.com.
Thank you for your contributions,
The Editorial Team