[URBANTH-L]IRB vows and woes

Kathy Nadeau kathleennadeau at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 30 20:09:32 EDT 2007

Dear Annegret,

I am an anthropologist at California State University, San Bernardino.
The way it works here, and Sid please correct me if I am wrong, is that
we have to submit an IRB application/proposal for approval by the board,
only, if we are proposing to work with extremely vulnerable populations.
It depends on our research problem.  If we are conducting fieldwork in
an area that would not put anyone at risk or on a topic, like say,
folklore, then, no need to get IRB approval.  Hope this helps!

Kathy

--

Kathleen Nadeau, Ph.D.

Associate Professor