[URBANTH-L]temp jobs vs. "the anthropologist as hero"

Dani Kranz moewe at gmx.li
Mon May 7 19:37:21 EDT 2007

Having worked in market research and consultancy for so long, as much as Susan I have contacts which I am keen to maintain for the simple reason to have a second leg, and as I think now a more stable one than my academic one. Unfortunately that is from my idealistic point of view, but as my boyfriend likes to stress "You can make so much cash as a consultant, why do you dislike it that much?!"
However, through the conversation on the temp market and economic issues I have been wondering if there is any change in the academic employment market to come as the discussants, and I would guess many more of the readers are so dissatisfied with the hiring (and firing) politics of academia. How is a change to the more 'humane' supposed to be brought about?

Dani

-------- Original-Nachricht --------