[URBANTH-L]The Temp-Scholar Market and the Future of Anthropology

A. Scott Catey catey at ufl.edu
Tue May 8 08:46:50 EDT 2007

[the following was a reply to the original posting angela set
round.]

angela:

kudos on a thoughtful and passionate articulation of a problem
that besets our discipline and the academy generally. you have my
compassion for the loss of job and benefits, as well. i'd like to
take a moment to comment on your observations.

the commitment to the ideology of hierarchy is wide spread, as you
know. i was speaking with two of my graduate school (soon to be
phds) colleagues just yesterday and both of them are willing to
conform to the politics of ideology of hierarchy in the interest
of self-interest, and in the interest (explicitly) of reproducing
the developing status quo. when i suggested alternate relational
practices that we as students and early career professionals can
enact, or try to enact, in order to subvert hierarchical norms and
to bring others into the discipline for much needed infusion of
fresh ideas and energy, they scoffed. it seems, perhaps, that the
drive to succeed and attain the academy position is more important
than the effort to change what is and to struggle to transform the
organization and practices of our field for the better. i am
continually disappointed by the lack of interest among my peers to
put theory to work in our own backyard, as it were, and their
preference to capitulate to the demands of management and
competitive work models that are forced upon us through regimes of
'governance' and reliance upon contractual obligations and
corporate organizational priorities.

we here at the university of florida are experiencing a similar
budget "crisis" (manufactured, it seems) and the concomitant and
continuing proletarianization of knowledge workers in favor of
higher teaching loads, higher numbers of seats occupied, 'dumbing
down' of courses, and the elimination, or attempted elimination,
of assistantship positions and student employment. i speak only
for myself, as a doctoral student at UF, but the neoliberalizing
governance model is firmly entrenched here, and it sounds as if
your experience is compatible with some faculty here, both in
anthropology and in other disciplines.

i hope that your call to begin a conversation takes hold. i for
one am very interested to hear what others have to say, and to
begin to think collectively about how we can mobilize our
knowledge and our social relationships in order to transform the
current trend, and maybe attain a model of teaching that is
actually concerned with teaching, mentoring, and providing for
students somnething more than a client-driven model of 'service';
and instead equip them with the intellectual and cognitive skills
that education, normatively, ought to aspire to provide.

Scott Catey
Graduate Student
Department of Anthropology
University of Florida