[URBANTH-L]May Submissions on the Inter-sections blog and Launch Party (London, 20 May)

Lauren Wagner wagner.laru at gmail.com
Tue May 15 09:40:23 EDT 2007

Please distribute, apologies for cross-postings
-------------------------
http://intersections.wordpress.com/

Deadline for your essays, ideas, visuals and comments on ‘Inter-
sections’:

Each month, ‘Inter-sections’ issues a new Call for Submissions
focussed on a theme chosen by the editors. The theme for May is: Food
and Migrating Cultures.

Through nutrition and food we form and express ways of thinking about
health and the body. Food preparation and consumption are important
social events and the way we cook, eat and talk food says a lot about
how we place ourselves in the world and how we relate to others.
Migrants bring their food to a new place, adapt it, fuse it, re-
invent it and rename it. Migration thus impacts on eating habits and
can completely change food preferences and lifestyle choices.

This month’s topic is inspired by the LIFT Eat London event that was
held recently - on the 28th of April, 2007 -  in Trafalgar Square,
bringing food artists who collaborated with communities from east and
south-east London to create one of fifteen edible sections of a map
of London.  This project’s mission statement was to “reflect the many
diverse cultures, histories and origins that give the capital its
identity”. Coming from this angle, we are hungry, craving your
comments about diverse food experience in relation to culture,
migration, and identity!

We would like to see your pictures, articles, interviews, films,
thoughts, impressions on food. We are interested in your personal
experiences as well as the results of your research or work practice.
Themes might include: food and its cultural value, the food
industries, representation of the ‘cultural other’ through food
(visual arts, film, television, satire, comedy), food as ritual/
performance, food and health/survival, food and sexuality, food
language/terminology, ’food ethnocentricism’ and anything else that
relates to food as a cultural phenomenon in relation to migration. Do
you have any personal memories about food that you want us to know?
Do you have your own cross-over/fusion recipes? Send us these as
well, perhaps accompanied by a yummy picture!

Send us your contributions at intersectionsblog at gmail.com (max 1,500
words) no later than 6 June 2007. After that, we will be starting a
new theme for June, look for our next announcement.

Conference calls, comments to existing posts and links to related
websites/blogs are published as we go along.

If you're in or around London, we welcome you for non-alcoholic
refreshments at our Launch Party this weekend!!