[URBANTH-L]CFP: Design + Livable Communities

Juris juris at temple.edu
Fri May 11 10:36:19 EDT 2007

Interdisciplinary Design and Research e-Publication (IDRP)

http://www.idrp.wsu.edu/

Call for Papers and Projects for IDRP Volume II

Topic: Design + Livable Communities

The Interdisciplinary Design and Research e-Publication (IDRP) issues
this call for papers and projects for its second volume, to be
released January, 2008.

The theme of IDRP Volume II is Design + Livable Communities.  In
keeping with our commitment to interdisciplinary inquiry, we welcome
the broadest possible range of interpretations for what “Design” and
“Livable Communities” can mean.  We invite submissions from the
following disciplinary domains:

the natural sciences, the social sciences, health care/public health,
the arts, the design disciplines, from the academic and business
worlds, and from public and private sectors.  All submissions will be
considered for peer review, provided that the submission interweaves
design and livable communities in a well-defined way.

Topics can include, but are certainly not limited to, the following:

             Cultural factors influencing livable environments

             Livability and the Arts

Public heath/policy and built environments

Community livability versus globalization

             Sprawl, New Urbanism, and downtown centers

Lessons on community livability from history and vernacular traditions

Collaboration and livability
Sustainability and a less automobile-dependent future
Livability in the age of the internet

Papers are limited to a maximum of 5,000 words, double spaced, 12 pt
Garamond font preferred.  Deadline: May 31, 2007, by email
transmission in WORD (see below).

Projects can be designs of a built (or un-built) form of any scale,
so long as an accompanying narrative explains how the project
addresses design and livable community.  Initial submission shall be
a one page document providing an image of the project with a
narrative explanation of sufficient length to fit on the same page.
Deadline: May 31, 2007, by email (see below).

All submissions must include contributor(s) name, affiliation, and
contact information on a separate page in WORD.  Submission shall be
by email only to David Wang, davewang at wsu.edu.  Please contact same
with any questions.

Juris Milestone, Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology