[URBANTH-L]Re: CORI (Committee on Refugees & Immigrants) Business Meeting at the AAAs

David W. Haines dhaines1 at gmu.edu
Wed Nov 28 08:33:22 EST 2007

Re: CORI business meeting

As both a past CORI chair and current SUNTA president, I
am sympathetic to both James and Sarah's comments, which
(to me anyway) reflect the strong needs to (1) focus
specifically on refugees, and also to (2) develop a fully
comprehensive anthropology of migration--of which refugee
issues are an absolutely crucial component.

I have already apologized to Jason for not being able to attend
this CORI meeting, but I wonder if this process of thinking
CORI's future might have a useful practical implication for the
next one or two AAA meetings: a set of panels that examine
exactly these issues: perhaps one on contemporary forced
migration (including the extremely interesting new arrivals to
the United States); one on what anthropology can contribute to
migration studies generally; and perhaps one that focuses on this
specific question of how to integrate the understanding of
humanitarian and economic migration streams (and destinies).

-- David Haines