[URBANTH-L]Re: CORI (Committee on Refugees & Immigrants) Business Meeting at the AAAs

mahlers at fiu.edu mahlers at fiu.edu
Tue Nov 27 14:55:41 EST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

It has often crossed my mind that migration studies and refugee studies should be integrated better.  There are indeed differences but I see them as differences of degree more than of kind. There is value in examining border crossing along continua based on different criteria such as conditions of exit and entry, govt assistance and barriers, people's SES, etc.  Some twenty years ago I started my career studying refugees who were not accorded refugee status in the U.S. for old Cold War reasons; today I supervise a doctoral student researching intra-company transferees who are not accorded immigrant status despite the fact that, as she recently wrote, "the United Nations and the International organization for Migration define immigrant as a “non-resident intending to stay in a country for more than one year” (U.N. 1998:18; IOM 2004:31). Thus the term “immigrant” covers a plethora of people who cross international borders, including low-skilled workers, refugees, persons without legal documents, missionaries, diplomats, foreign language teachers, and the now widely increasing temporary skilled and professional workers, and international company transferees."

SUNTA is definitely the right home for these issues and care needs to be taken institutionally such that the juggernaut of migration studies does not ignore the differences of refugees' experiences, but I think it is time to restructure so that we align ourselves institutionally more in line with our intellectual understanding.

I will not be at the AAA but hope that this issue received the attention it merits.

Sarah J. Mahler