[URBANTH-L] CFP for SMA/SfAA 2008 (please forward) -- Risk, Self-Management, and Chronic Disease in the U.S.

Sarah Raskin seraskin at email.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 20 11:48:48 EDT 2007

***Call for Papers, please forward***

Dear friends and colleagues,

We are proposing a panel for the 2008 Society for Medical Anthropology (SMA)/
Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA) joint meeting, which will take place
March 26-29, 2008 in Memphis, TN.  We are writing to solicit abstracts (100
words max) for papers that deal with the concepts of risk, self-management, and
chronic disease among populations in the United States.  The draft proposal
follows, below.

We conceptualize each of these concepts broadly, with special attention to the
notion that the category "chronic" can include the long-term management of
diseases previously thought of as infectious (e.g. HIV/AIDS, cancers caused by
viruses).  Presenters from a broad variety of experience, institutional
affiliations, and theoretical orientations are encouraged to apply, although
preference will be given to papers that apply theory to data including
ethnographic data, sociolinguistic data, and mixed methods data.

Please submit your abstract to Julie Armin (jarmin at email.arizona.edu) and Sarah
Raskin (seraskin at email.arizona.edu) by Monday, October 1.  Please include a
title and your contact information.  We will notify you of our decision by
Thursday, October 11, so that papers that don't fit the panel can still be
submitted by the SfAA's October 15 deadline.

More details about the SfAA 2008 conference can be found at:
http://www.sfaa.net/sfaa2008.html

Thanks for your submissions.  We look forward to seeing you in Memphis in March
2008,

Julie Armin and Sarah Raskin
Department of Anthropology
University of Arizona

*****
CALL FOR PAPERS
*****

SELF-MANAGEMENT: PRODUCING SITES OF RISK IN THE BODY (a draft proposal)

Chronic disease is an issue of concern in the United States, where a variety of
constituencies (e.g., health care practitioners, educators, administrators) and
processes take an interest in preventing it or, if manifest, preventing
complications. "Self-management" has implications beyond the individual body:
Health maintenance is a socially embedded practice that produces a multiplicity
of subjectivities, meanings, vulnerabilities, and opportunities for defining
health and well-being. This panel examines the relationship between risk and
self-management, acknowledging that risk's strategic sites of interaction
include the body, family, community, technology, economy, policy, and the
media, among others.

--

Sarah Raskin, MPH
PhD student, Department of Anthropology