[URBANTH-L]CFP: The Tourist City - Florence

jancius at ohio.edu jancius at ohio.edu
Thu Aug 7 02:17:05 EDT 2008

[forwarded from COMURB_R21 at email.rutgers.edu]

All for Papers - The Tourist City - Florence - November 14-18

Tourist studies has emerged as important area of study in urban disciplines
(anthropology, economics. geography, psychology, and sociology) as well as
interdisciplinary programs in cultural studies, leisure studies, tourist
studies, and urban studies. As noted by the journal Tourist Studies, tourism
and tourist styles consumption are characteristic of many features of
contemporary social change, such as mobility, restlessness, the search for
authenticity and escape, and they are increasingly central to economic
restructuring, globalization, consumption, and the aestheticization of
everyday life.

As part of the International Florence Festival "Degree& Profession", the
Romualdo Del Bianco Foundation invites you to contribute a paper for
presentation at a conference on The Tourist City, co-ordinated by Prof. Ray
Hutchison (University of Wisconsin, Green Bay).  We welcome papers from the
many disciplines that encounter tourist studies (economics geography,
sociology) as well as interdisciplinary fields (cultural studies, leisure
studies, urban studies).

The International Florence Festival is scheduled November 14-18, 2008 and
The Tourist City will meet for three days during the Festival. We will meet
in the Sala Ferri in Palazzo Strozzi in the center of the city - a wonderful
venue for our discussions! We plan to have one paper session and two
roundtable sessions each day.

You may view an announcement of Florence Festival "Degree & Profession" /
Tourist City click here (scroll down to mid-page) and also on the Romualdo
Del Bianco Foundation web site
(http://www.fondazione-delbianco.org/seminari/progetti_prof/progview_PL.asp?start=1&idprog=102).

Please send a detailed one-page abstract of your paper (complete paper if
available) with subject heading: Tourist City to (info at florence-expo.com)--
or go to the full call for papers at www.uwgb.edu/urs/tourist_city.pdf.

Abstracts and papers received on our before September 15 will receive
priority consideration for inclusion in the program; we will review papers
received before September 30 but expect that the conference will be filled
by that date.

Accommodations in Florence may be arranged at a reduced rate through VIVA
Hotels of Florence. Click here to view the accommodation options and prices
and here to view information about the five Viva Hotels in Florence.

To view the complete call for papers - including the cool photos that the
list serve will not allow to be sent! - go to the announcement at
www.uwgb.edu/urs/tourist_city.pdf

Ray Hutchison

Ray Hutchison
Professor and Chair