[URBANTH-L]AN CFP: Theme issue on prisons and incarceration

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 14:34:41 EDT 2008

Dear Contributing Editors,

Anthropology News welcomes proposals for our upcoming (January 2009)
thematic issue on incarceration. All proposals related to this theme will be
considered for our In Focus Commentary, Field Notes and other sections.
Potential topics include, among others:

Prison industries
Prison overcrowding
Reentry/reintegration
Torture and interrogation
Extradition/rendition
Immigrant detention
Political imprisonment
Psychiatric confinement
Prison power structures and social networks
Expressions and limits of state authority

We are also particularly interested in receiving Teaching Strategies
proposals from anthropologists with experience teaching in prison
environments.

To participate in this thematic issue, email a 300 word proposal and 50-100
word author bio to Anthropology News editor Dinah Winnick by September 25.
Proposals for photo essays should also include five high resolution
photographs, each with a photo caption and credit. Selected authors will be
invited to submit articles of 1000-1400 words (for commentaries) or 400-1000
words (for other content). See our website for details.

Please spread the word about this opportunity among your colleagues and
students.

Best regards,
Dinah Winnick

Dinah Winnick
Associate Managing Editor, Anthropology News
American Anthropological Association
2200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
Arlington, VA 22201
703..528.1902 ext. 3005