[URBANTH-L]CFP for AAA panel: Illegibility, ambivalence, and the political

Brandt Peterson peter699 at msu.edu
Mon Feb 25 18:30:13 EST 2008

Illegibility, ambivalence, and the political

Anthropologists have documented with increasing precision and insight
the ways in which technologies of measurement, identification, and
inclusion define certain social subjects as knowable and known,
legible and registered, and as objects in need of intervention.
Emanating from dispersed sites throughout ‘civil society’ and
transnational networks, as well as traditional locations within the
state, these technologies work by idetnifying the characteristics of
particular groups, defining the meaning of social problems and
conceivable remedies, and so containing the space of the political.

This panel explores instances when subjects exceed or elude
strategies of institutional knowledge production and the technologies
of exclusion/inclusion and regulation they authorize. Through
concrete ethnographic and geographic studies, can we understand
uncertainty and ambivalence as a form of the political, rather than a
condition of being incompletely or insufficiently ‘political’?

We seek to move away from the too-familiar celebrations—and
condemnations—of hybridity, multiplicity, and liminality, on the one
hand, or fixity, identity, and essence, on the other, that typically
attend discussions of what we think of here as illegibility or
ambivalence. To identify hybridity as a condition of political
possiblity risks minimizing the traumatic injuries or political
immobility that may attend or produce ambivalent attachments.
Likewise, blanket assertions that “some essentialism is necessary”
for politics risk separating a limited space of political
authenticity from the complexity of real lives, and so reinscribing
the authority of experts and diminishing or silencing those who
exceed essentialist boudaries. Sensitive to these risks, this panel
turns to concrete ethnographic investigations of illegibility,
uncertainty, and ambivalence, keeping in mind that that these may be
conditions of injury and abjection as well as possibility, and may
attend rooted identities or places as well as fluid or unstable
locations. What are the conditions of illegibility? What are the
consequences for subjects who trouble or elude institutional modes of
knowing, or who reside within or alongside illegible or ambiguous
spaces? Finally, what are the politics of anthropological practice in
these conditions? What models of collaboration or activism can we
imagine to address the terrain of multiple political attachments,
ambivalent identifications, and uncertain spaces?

We seek papers addressing a broad range of sites, subjects, and
locations, organized around the questions we pose about ambivalence
and the political. In order to meet the AAA deadline of April 1, we
need to receive abstracts of no more than 250 words by March 20,
2008. Please send abstracts to Brandt Peterson at peter699 at msu.edu.

Brandt Gustav Peterson
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology